Banner

Thursday 27 January 2011

The Necklace...cont...and maybe you can use some of it in quilting..

If you are making a quilt that could use some embellishing, think about how you could string some beads, sewing the ends of the string into a section of the quilt, then adding to the string making a frothy lace effect like I've done with the white beads. You could also sew in some shells into the frothy bits and they will start to look like surf instead.These photo's are of a fish I painted and then embellished with embroidery to see what it would look like. I could also add some beads in the background, making them look like seaweed or corals or anemones....anything's possible... ;-)
This is a fish I painted and then embroidered...I could bead it too...
Close-up of the face
All sorts of different stitches.
The outline stitch is called Pekinese stitch.
This will be going into my Turtle quilt.
So maybe you can use this idea on your next quilt...make certain sections of the quilt extra special with some embroidery, or beading or by sewing ribbons in and around and about. :-)

I promised to show you how far I'd got with my necklace, so here are a bunch of photo's for you to look at...:-D
Looking a little fuller.

A bit closer..
Top right side...as you wear it..
Centre right side.
Middle..I've taken the big green beads off.
Going up the left side.
Further up the left side
Near the top ..left side
Going round the back of the neck towards the clasp.
Well I haven't got to making the clasp yet..that will be the last thing I do. I hope this gives you some inspiration to play and see what you could do...
Maybe you could use the frothy lace type of beading if you made it larger to accent a corner of a block on a quilt...sewing the occasional section down to the fabric so that it doesn't flop around a lot. Even using shells on the quilt and then adding some of the lacy stuff around it so that it looks like surf frothing around it...adding some of the pearls into the froth....I really think that it could make a huge difference to a quilt that would otherwise be ordinary :-) The frothy lace is made by stringing beads onto some thread...then going back and picking up a new bead, going through the second strung bead, picking up another bead, missing a strung bead and going through the next...and so on till you get to the end of the string..turn back and pick up a bead thread it so that it sits in the gap made by the previous row...carry on till you get to the end..turn back and pick up 3 beads go through the next bead..pick up 3 beads miss a bead then go through the next one...carry on till the end..turn around and pick up 3 beads and go through the center of the previous three beads, pick up 3 beads and go through the center of the next three..you'll start to see the 'frothyness' building... If I haven't made much sense...let me know and I'll try and write it again with pictures to explain it...It's just that it's 1am in the morning and I should go to sleep...:-) see ya sometime.

2 comments:

  1. This necklace is beautiful. It looks very complex and challenging. Doesn't look like the work of a "new" beader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Kamilah, thanks..but I just followed the instructions that are well written. :-D
    http://www.beadandbutton.com/Projects/Free Projects/2009/10/Seascape necklace peyote stitch and fringe.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Verification